With less than 6 shopping days before Christmas and knowing that stocking stuffers are the last things I tend to snag, I though I would share with you my top 6 UNCONVENTIONAL (no technology needed) stocking stuffers that will keep little kids busy. Did I mention they are inexpensive and FUN!
- Barbasol Shaving Cream (Original)- If the mess turns you off, keep a can in the bath or shower (with a pretend razor of course). This will allow for the fun sensory play without the mess and your kids will love it! See more about sensory play here
- Clothes Pins – Clothes pins are a great fine motor activity and can be used for many things. My girls love decorating them, gluing eyes and hair on and turning them into puppets. We use them for painting with pom poms and for building forts. Here is a cute post on how to build an indoor fort by http://www.sayyes.com! (tent photo used from how to build an indoor fort…see link)
- Blue Tape – My all time favorite unconventional stocking stuffer EVERY child needs! Blue tape can be placed on carpet, hardwood, walls and furniture and it doesn’t leave a sticky residue.
- Dixie Cups– Castles, Christmas trees, bowling, hide a snack or toy game, learning letters or sounds… these little paper cups are the best for creative play, building, and motor!
- Toothbrushes or household brushes– BRUSH WASH SCRUB… yes kids love soap, bubbles and brushes! Set them up with a car wash or a veggie scrub. The can set up a dentist office and clean all their animals teeth. This creative pretend play is how children build on cognitive, motor, social and language development.
- Fly Swatter – Bringing back the good ole fly swatter….and yes as a stocking stuffer! Throw some Velcro or Tape on and go on a hunt, hide and seek, do a race for bugs, letters, numbers…. Whatever you can dream up!
Jen Bjorem M.A., CCC-SLP
Happy Stocking Stuffing!